Product Name: Roasted Chicory Loose Leaf Cut
Other Name: Cichorium intybus
Shelf Life: 2 Years
Country of Origin: India
- Despite being around for over two centuries, chicory coffee has gained popularity in recent years. which are baked, ground, and used as a coffee substitute and food additive. In the 21st century, inulin, an extract from chicory root, has been used in food manufacturing as a sweetener and source of dietary fiber.
- This hot beverage tastes like coffee but is made of roasted chicory root instead of coffee beans.
- It is popular among those trying to reduce their caffeine intake and may be linked to several health benefits.
- Chicory coffee is a beverage made using the roots of the chicory plant, which are roasted, ground, and brewed into a coffee-like drink.
Roasted chicory root, often referred to as roasted chicory, is a popular substitute for coffee or a coffee additive. It is made by roasting the root of the chicory plant until it becomes dark and rich in flavor. Here's how you can make roasted chicory:
Harvest and clean the chicory root: Obtain fresh chicory roots. Wash them thoroughly to remove any dirt or debris.
Peel and chop the chicory root: Peel the outer layer of the chicory root to remove any remaining dirt or roughness. Chop the roots into small, uniform pieces.
- Preheat your oven to around 350-375°F (175-190°C).
- Spread the chopped chicory root evenly on a baking sheet.
- Roast the roots in the preheated oven for about 30-40 minutes, or until they become dark brown and aromatic. Stir them occasionally to ensure even roasting.
Cool and store:
- Allow the roasted chicory to cool completely.
- Once cooled, you can grind the roasted chicory root to your desired coarseness, similar to coffee grounds.
- Use the roasted chicory grounds to make a beverage similar to coffee. You can brew it using a coffee maker, French press, or other methods you would use for coffee.
Roasted chicory has a slightly bitter, earthy flavor that is reminiscent of coffee. It's often mixed with coffee or used as a coffee substitute for those looking to reduce their caffeine intake or seeking a coffee alternative with potential health benefits.