The following testing equipment are used to measure Absolute Kinematic Viscosity Bath
graded paving bitumen (IS:73:2006) at 60°C in accordance with IS:1206 (Part II) (similar to ASTM D 2171), which uses a vacuum capillary viscometer. It may please be noted that any other viscometer such as rotational viscometer cannot be used to measure the absolute viscosity at 60°C since the bitumen in non Newtonian in nature at this temperature. Specifications:
- Complete Absolute Viscosity Testing Equipment conforming to IS: 1206 (Part II) Method for Testing Tar and Bitumen Materials: Determination of Absolute Viscosity with the following components:
- Constant Temperature Bath: A suitable bath for immersion of at least 2 vacuum capillary viscometer tubes with a digital temperature controller. The accuracy of the temperature in the bath will be ± 0.1°C throughout the bath.
- Vacuum System: Capable of maintaining a vacuum within ± 0.05 cm of the desired level The system will consist of vacuum pump, moisture trap, vacuum regulator, bleed valve, all interconnecting tubing/ piping, and any other accessory as needed to complete the vacuum system.
- Thermometer for Bath: Mercury in glass, range 37.8 to 82°C, and graduations of 0.2°C.
- Timing Device: A stop watch or stop clock capable of reading up to ½ second.
- Cannon-Manning Vacuum Viscometers: With manufacturers'' calibration certificate, viscometer holder and silicone cork. Size 12 and Size 13 (one each) [Size 12 is suitable for testing VG-10 and Size 13 is suitable for testing VG-20, VG-30, and VG-40 bitumen.]